Monday, December 7, 2009

Short Term Memory

I have always said that athletes need to have short term memories to get over poor results and get re-focused on the next race. For me it takes anywhere from 6 to 48 hrs for that to occur. This time around about 36 hrs. After taking yesterday off completely and catching up on some NFL football, and CBC's coverage of alpine racing and long track speed skating, I woke up today to clear blue skies and temps around -18c and a desire to get out for a ski. My lesson learned I took it very easy today and will build back up as the week progresses.

This Saturday/Sunday marks the beginning of the 2009/10 NorAm season. Saturday will be a 15 km skate event and will be a qualifier for the Canadian World Cups in early February. Sunday will be my favourite - a 1.3 km skate sprint. That is my race and I am excited to test out my new fitness and recovered speed.

Some people just don't know how timely their words can be. I received an email today from Dan Lindsey - the family I stayed with in Whitehorse - without knowing how my result went last weekend. He offered up a quote from Winston Churchill that hit the mark for me today.

Dan to me: Hope you are doing well and are feeling optimistic and positive - you will get there!! A quick reminder from Churchill, I think this one was said when he visited Canada during the war…“success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that makes it all worth while…"


Things are good. My optimism is returning but I will have to prove to myself this weekend that my invincibility is back! I look forward to it.

On a very funny and positive note I have attached a link to a video created by Paul Dwyer. It should put a smile on everyone's face.

http://elfyourself.jibjab.com/view/gZqCo6ulWS3epsmo?cmpid=ey_fb_friend

No comments:

Post a Comment